[linux-lvm] LVM commands extremely slow during raid check/resync

James Candelaria jc at whiptailtech.com
Mon Mar 26 13:02:58 UTC 2012

Larkin,

This is likely due to the way the scheduler and MD driver are interacting.  The MD driver has likely filled the queue of the devices pretty deep with read requests, then when you attempt to run a LVM command such as lvcreate your request gets inserted.  You must "wait-in-line" for this command (likely only a few sectors worth of IO) to get its turn on the media.  The MD driver realizes that there is another request to the media and slows itself briefly, but since there is no further IO after the LVM command it then goes back to its job of resyncing your array in earnest.

James