[linux-lvm] Isolation of volume groups

Fredrik Tolf fredrik at dolda2000.com
Mon May 28 16:11:11 UTC 2012

On Mon, 28 May 2012, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> On 05/28/2012 03:33 PM, Fredrik Tolf wrote:
>> Last night, one of the PVs in datvol had a transient SATA link
>> failure and popped in and out of existence for a little while,
>> which caused datvol and the LVs on it to fail. No permanent damage
>> seems to have occurred, though, so I'm not too worried about that.
>> I could bring datvol down and up again to make it work, so I guess
>> everything worked as should be expected.
>
> Are the devices for ravol and datvol on the same SATA bus or controller?

Well, it's a bit mixed. The PVs in datvol are spread over two SATA
controllers, one of which also controls the ravol drives. However, the
drive that failed was on the controller which is not used by ravol, and
the actual PV in ravol (there's only one) is an MD volume (a RAID 1
array), and MD itself never reported any errors.

--

Fredrik Tolf