[linux-lvm] Questions about thin pools and segment properties

ben benscott at nwlink.com
Thu Nov 29 03:07:49 UTC 2012

If I start with a pool like this:

lvs --all --segments -o +chunksize,discards
  LV            VG   Attr      #Str Type      SSize   Chunk  Discards
  pool1         vg1  twi-a-tz-    1 thin-pool 100.00m 64.00k passdown
  [pool1_tdata] vg1  Twi-aot--    1 linear     50.00m     0
  [pool1_tdata] vg1  Twi-aot--    1 linear     50.00m     0
  [pool1_tmeta] vg1  ewi-aot--    1 linear      2.00m     0

My first question is if I look at "pool1" with liblvm2pp will
there ever be more than one segment? I know "pool1_tdata"
can have more but it looks like "pool1" is just one.
My second question is if discards and chunksize are segment
properties, can a pool have more than one setting of either?

Thank you.

Thank you.