[linux-lvm] How to handle Bad Block relocation with LVM?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Nov 29 12:26:24 UTC 2012

On 12-11-28 08:57 AM, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:

> Sorry, no automated tool.

Pity,

> You could possibly pvmove separated PEs manually with set of pvmove
> commands.

So, is the basic premise to just find the PE that is sitting on a bad
block and just pvmove it into an LV created just for the purpose of
holding PEs that are on bad blocks?

So what happens when I pvmove a PE out of an LV?  I take it LVM moves
the data (or at least tries in this case) on the PE being pvmoved onto
another PE before moving it?

Oh, but wait.  pvmove (typically) moves PEs between physical volumes.
Can it be used to remap PEs like this?

> But I'd strongly recommend to get rid of such broken driver quickly then
> you loose any more data - IMHO it's the most efficient solution cost &
> time.

I'm not overly worried.  There is no critical data on that disk/machine
and it's fully backed up twice a day.  I do appreciate your concern and
warning though.

Cheers,
b.