[linux-lvm] access or interface to list of blocks that have, changed via C.O.W.?

Mark Woodward markw at mohawksoft.com
Wed Oct 3 15:42:16 UTC 2012

There are a couple projects that do this. They are pretty much based on
ddsnap. You can google it.
In LVM2 world, it is fairly trivial to do what you want to do.

(1) create a virtual disk.
(2) take the "old" snapshot.
(3) write to lvdisk
(4) take the "new" snapshot.

At this stage the COW device of the "old" snapshot has all the data that
has changed up to and including the "new" snapshot. You can back that
up. As a differential. Then delete the "old" snapshot. The "new"
snapshot is now renamed to the old snapshot.

Take the next "new" snapshot. The renamed "old" snapshot has the changes
since the previous snapshot up to and including the latest "new"
snapshot. Just repeat this process, and you can do incremental backups
of your LVM disks.

The biggest issue with performance is the COW aspect of snapshots. I
have found using 64K chunk sizes greatly increase performance by
reducing COW to snapshots. The default size if 4K.