[linux-lvm] thin pool grows but meta data does not?

Zdenek Kabelac zdenek.kabelac at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 09:30:31 UTC 2012

Dne 16.10.2012 21:17, ben napsal(a):
> Experimenting with thin pools I noticed that extending a thin pool doesn't
> seem to make the metadata larger. Is that the expected behavior?

Yes  - metadata resize is not yet supported  (but extend will be available in
hopefully near future).

You may see the %use of metadata via: 'lvs -o+metadata_percent'

For now you have to select in front reasonable big metadata size when you
create thin pool. (i.e. 300MB seems to be pretty good size to start with), max
size is <16GB.  (There is some auto-estimation based on given thin pool size -
but if you expect the thin pool will significantly grow later - for now you
have to set big enough metadata size for lvcreate command.

Zdenek