[linux-lvm] Removing vg and lv after physical drive has been removed

Scott Merrilees scott at merrilees.net
Sun Sep 2 03:03:41 UTC 2012

Reboot would clean all currently loaded state from the kernel / processes.
Wouldn't clean any state stored on disk.

I am not 100% sure what state is stored where for lvm.
I guess that since vg04 was self contained on one disk,
and since we can't see anything about vg04,
that the vg information in saved on the pv in some form,
and that importing the vg loads the information and is used to setup
the device mapper.

If that is the case, then a reboot should clear things up, but also
the dmsetup remove should clear things up.

If the current state is stored in more than the device mapper, then
just a dmsetup remove may be insufficient.

If you have the vgs spread over more than 1 pv, then I expect lvm
would be telling you that it can't find
various pvs with certain pv_uuids, which is what I've more often seen
when I've done things myself in the
wrong sequence.
--
Scott Merrilees