[linux-lvm] Removing a (potentially unused?) PV from a VG

Marian Csontos mcsontos at redhat.com
Tue Feb 12 09:53:44 UTC 2013

On 02/08/2013 09:18 PM, Harold Pimentel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So, I have the following setup:
>
> - Ubuntu 12,04
> - 1 6TB physical volume (the one with data) [ext4]
> - 1 13TB PV (no data... I think?) [ext4]
>
> Here is the story...
>
> - I created an ext4 on the 13TB PV, added the 13TB to the VG to make a
> 13TB volume group.

Moment. Why creating ext4 on the PV first?
You added PV to VG first, I guess.

> - Everything went fine and then I ran:
>
> Code:
>
> resize2fs /dev/volgroup/volume
>

> And to my surprise.. I couldn't resize past 16TB ! (crap! should have
> checked this first!).

OK, so did it resize to 16TB, right? So now you have 16TB FS over two
PVs: 6TB + 10TB. You need to downsize the FS first.

Also, when resizing LVs, it is safer to use fsadm, to avoid common
problem where people shrink LV before FS.

> So, nothing happened.. Now what I want to do is remove the 13TB PV
> from the VG and do something else with it... but I get the following
> error:
>

> Code:
>
> sudo vgreduce -t home_volume_group /dev/sdc1
>    Test mode: Metadata will NOT be updated.
>    Physical volume "/dev/sdc1" still in use
>
> I don't remember the message, but I was going to try to use pvmove to
> move stuff off of /dev/sdc1 and it failed stating something like "No
> available extents"... which I don't even expect to have anything
> written to that disk since nothing was written after the install.

If above still fails, try `pvmove --alloc anywhere /dev/sdc1`. It may help.

-- Marian