[linux-lvm] Slow boot with large number of thin snapshots

Marian Csontos mcsontos at redhat.com
Tue Feb 12 11:57:08 UTC 2013

On 02/07/2013 01:42 PM, Andres Toomsalu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have experienced a situation where we are left with large number
> of thin snapshots (around 500) and snapshot removal wont work anymore
> (we suspect a lock-up situation caused by trying to remove thin
> snapshots that is still mounted - thou  its not verified yet - just a
> speculation).  The only path to recover seems to be disabling all
> thin volumes from fstab and booting into single-user mode - where
> lvremove -f usually succeeds on these thin snapshots. But LVM init
> and lvremove take a huge amount of time with large number of
> snapshots  - initial LVM activation is going on about 6-8 minutes at
> least and every lvremove takes ca 20-50 sec - depending on snapshot
> count left. After snapshots are removed thin volumes can be enabled
> again and fsck-ed and resuming normal operations.

Hello Andres, could you provide the following information:

Which version of lvm?
Is lvmetad used?

     grep lvmetad /etc/lvm/lvm.conf
     pgrep lvmetad

RHEL6.3 version of lvmetad had a serious performance issue with many
[thin] snapshots, which should be solved in the latest release
(lvm2-2.02.98)

Could you check the memory usage while the command is running?

Also there were a high memory usage problems fixed in the recent version.

-- Marian