[linux-lvm] How does LVM-Cache work?

Leo Antonio heiligerstein at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 18:44:43 UTC 2013

Hello, everyone.

I'm willing to do research about second-level cache using SSDs and I think
that the best way to do this is using LVM/Device Mapper, because other
implementations are based on FUSE, virtualization layers, and others.

What I'm trying to do is to develop a subsystem that will put hot
blocks/PEs on SSDs-Cache, as well as group related blocks/PEs on cache
automatically. Not simply put on SSD the most  used files or directories.

The problem is that I could not find any documentation about DM or LVM to
help my research and development.

Could you point me to some documentation or what's the best way to
accomplish this?

Thanks!

Leonardo Antônio dos Santos
Federal University of Paraná (Brazil)