[linux-lvm] Snapshot causing segault

Stuart D Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Thu Jan 3 20:04:35 UTC 2013

On 01/03/2013 05:18 AM, Zdenek Kabelac expounded in part:

>> So my question is: is creating the snapshot volume with a size larger
>> than the
>> target volume inducing segfaults randomly or could there be another
>> problem
>> lurking? If these weren't production machines I would normally just
>> go with a
>> size smaller than the target but I really need to be sure what
>> exactly is
>> causing the segfaults.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>

> Any special reason to use lvm2 from the year 2006 in the year 2013 ?
> There is no big point in fixing some particular bugs any many years
> obsoleted source code.
>
> Can you try to use/rebuild more recent version?
Upgrading production systems can be expensive - hence the value of paid
long term support contracts.  I don't think he is asking to fix it -
just to confirm that it is an LVM bug, which could make upgrading more
attractive, or make the workaround (of ensuring snapshot size <= source
size) acceptable.