[linux-lvm] Is cLVM necessary when accessing different logical volumes on a shared iSCSI target?

Christian Schröder cs at deriva.de
Tue Jul 2 17:27:46 UTC 2013

Hi list!
I have an iSCSI server (using LIO) which provides one LUN. Two client
machines each connect this same LUN. From the client's perspective, let's
say it shows up as device /dev/sda. I have then in one client created a
partition /dev/sda1 with type 8e (LVM). The partition immediately shows up
in the other client.
After that, I have created a physical LVM volume (pvcreate /dev/sda1) and a
volume group (vgcreate shared /dev/sda1). Note that I have not enabled
cluster mode for this volume group. Again, both the physical volume and the
volume group are immediately visible to the other client.
When I create in one client a logical volume in this volume group, it is
visible to the other client, but it is unavailable. This works in both
directions, i.e. I can create a logical volume in one client or the other,
and it is always visible, but unavailable to the other client.
So far, everything seems to work fine. Now my question is: Is this setup
sufficient or do I need cLVM? I have tried to install cLVM, but had some
problems, because I do not have (and probably do not need?) a cluster
manager.
Could anybody explain when cLVM is needed in general and if it is necessary
for me?

Kind regards,
Christian

Deriva GmbH Financial IT and Consulting
Christian Schröder
Geschäftsführer
Hans-Böckler-Straße 2 | D-37079 Göttingen
Tel: +49 (0)551 489 500-42
Fax: +49 (0)551 489 500-91
http://www.deriva.de

Amtsgericht Göttingen | HRB 3240
Geschäftsführer: Dirk Baule, Christian Schröder