[linux-lvm] I can't have the mirror_log mirrored, LVM complains "there is no suitable space"

Alessandro MACUZ alessandro.macuz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 11:43:39 UTC 2013

2013/7/4 Alasdair G Kergon <agk at redhat.com>

> On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 02:14:01AM +0200, Alessandro MACUZ wrote:
> > Why "*lvconvert -i 5 -m1 --mirrorlog mirrored /dev/lvgrptstnlvm/root
> > /dev/sdb1*" doesn't work whereas
> > "*lvconvert -m1 /dev/lvgrptstnlvm/root /dev/sdb1*" does? The space to be
> > allocated differs by just one PE.
>
> Exactly which version of lvm2 are you using?
> Is it 2.02.97 or later?  If not, you should try a newer version.
> To debug, you then need to run the command with -vvvv added to the command
> line.  Post a link to this output if you want others to look.

On Knoppix

root at Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# lvm version
  LVM version:     2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06)
  Library version: 1.02.74 (2012-03-06)
  Driver version:  4.23.0

On Debian Live CD
  LVM version:     2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06)
  Library version: 1.02.74 (2012-03-06)
  Driver version:  4.22.0

The usage of LVM instead of MD raid was not chosen by me and LVM is a
temporary choice  to move VMdisks from local to the NAS (iSCSI)

I'll post the detailed output as I was asked.
I wonder if the problem is only with the creation of the second leg of the
volume and the mirrored mirror_logs. If it so I guess I can use whatever
distro that has LVM version more recent then 2.02.97 and then handle it
with less recent version...

Alex