[linux-lvm] Is cLVM necessary when accessing different logical volumes on a shared iSCSI target?

Christian Schröder cs at deriva.de
Sat Jul 6 12:47:43 UTC 2013

Hi Matthew,
thanks again for your comments. The idea to use tags is very
interesting. I will have a deeper look at it. However, I still do not
understand if filtering (either hard-coded or using tags) is *necessary*
to make things working or if it is just *adviseable* to prevent using a
volume simultaneously from both clients?
When I tried to set up the scenario as described, I encountered another
problem which might be related to the sharing stuff: When I virtually
disconnect the physical volume (by disconnecting from the iSCSI server)
and reconnect again, I get i/o errors when I try to access a logical
volume. I have tried pvscan, vgscan and lvscan, but nothing helps.
Interestingly, the volume group and all logical values are found by
vgscan / lvscan, but I cannot access it. Is this the expected behavior?
Is there any chance (besides rebooting the client machine) to recover
from such a situation?

Regards,
Christian

--
Deriva GmbH                         Tel.: +49 551 489500-42
Financial IT and Consulting         Fax:  +49 551 489500-91

Amtsgericht Göttingen | HRB 3240
Geschäftsführer: Dirk Baule, Christian Schröder
Deriva CA Certificate: http://www.deriva.de/deriva-ca.cer