[linux-lvm] Very slow i/o after snapshotting

Micky mickylmartin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 23:29:24 UTC 2013

Fellows,
While we were getting out of options, I have finally managed to fix
the read/write speed from LVM snapshots. Turns out, it was default
scheduler CFQ's fault or not-fault.
Switching to NOOP gave nearly a 40% performance boost (getting 30MB/s
write speed instead of 10-15MB/s when dumping or copying raw data from
snapshot).

And if I use Deadline scheduler, it quite randomly jumps to 50MB/s and
load goes down and stays constant (3.0 while dd'ing a fresh snapshot)!

Considering the normal disk speeds of 100MB/s of these standard
off-the-shelf HDDs, what I am getting now out of LVM snapshots is not
bad at all.

Leaving the details here so it can help others who may coming looking
for answers!