[linux-lvm] Snapshots of snapshots are not supported yet

markw at mohawksoft.com markw at mohawksoft.com
Wed Jul 10 03:45:20 UTC 2013

One more annoying question, if you have the patience.

Suppose I create a thin provisioned volume, say disk0.

I take a snapshot of disk0 and name it disk0_snap0
After a number of changes I then take another snapshot, and call it
disk0_snap1

Is the thin provisioning stuff smart enough to realize that disk0_snap0
should be rewired to reference disk0_snap1 as its origin? It would look
like this:

disk0 -> disk0_snap1 -> disk0_snap0

What I would like to see is something like this:

disk0 -> disk0_snap2 -> disk0_snap1 -> disk0_snap0

Create disk0_snap3

disk0 -> disk0_snap3 -> disk0_snap2 -> disk0_snap1 -> disk0_snap0

Where all writes to disk0 result in CoW to disk0_snap3 and the remaining
snaps remain unchanged.

Here is the kicker, I want to perform a differential backup on disk0_snap3
and disk0_snap2.  Suppose I already recreated disk0_snap2 on some server.
I now want to update it to disk0_snap3. I need to get a block list from
disk0_snap2 and disk0_snap3, then generate a list of blocks needed to
permute snap2 to snap3.

Any info?