[linux-lvm] lvm RAID and segtypes... difference to MD?

Christoph Anton Mitterer calestyo at scientia.net
Thu Jul 18 17:12:56 UTC 2013

Hi.

I just stumbled across that LVM nowadays also supports higher RAID
levels?

Is this "just" reusing the MD code... or is it a new implementation?

Does using it provide any advantages (i.e. performance) other than using
the same userland tools... and perhaps greater flexibility in where the
PEs for a RAID come from (which may be pretty arbitrary with LVM, and is
always some devices for MD)... not that I'd say that such "flexibility"
is really useful.

Is there any larger documentation available on what happens with the
RAID levels and the other segtypes? I couldn't find basically
anything... I mean things like mirror/striped are probably clear... but
free, error, etc.?

Cheers,
Chris.