[linux-lvm] potential locking issues

Jaco Kroon jaco at uls.co.za
Sat Mar 2 12:58:03 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I've applied the attached patch to my installation, and the lock files
are no longer unlinked.  Since then a number of problems have gone away:

1.  dmeventd (in spite of running a watch lvs in a terminal) no longer
ends up with an open
2.  I no longer seem to be getting lockups where I can't execute any lvm
commands until I killall -9 dmeventd.
3.  My snapshots no longer seem to go invalid because dmeventd doesn't
extend them (during testing it still happened but I managed to figure
out it's because my threshold for extending was set at 80%, and my
initial LV was 12M, with 1M writes every 2 seconds to the original
partition, and it would then go from <80% to 100% between checks, I
since updated the threshold to 50% and checking at 15s intervals, and
decreased the writes to every 5s which solved it - in production however
I start with 1G snapshots, threshold at 80 % and increase of 20%).

The only effective change of the patch is that it removes the code that
unlinks the lockfile.  To the best of my knowledge no safe way exists to
unlink the lockfile without introducing lock race conditions, as such,
the empty lock file has to remain on disk.

For your consideration,

Kind Regards,
Jaco