[linux-lvm] LVM snapshot with Clustered VG [SOLVED]

Vladislav Bogdanov bubble at hoster-ok.com
Fri Mar 15 12:53:27 UTC 2013

15.03.2013 12:37, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> Dne 15.3.2013 10:29, Vladislav Bogdanov napsal(a):

>>> I think - the extension to  'lvs' command could be relatively simple
>>> (adding a new column)
>>
>> Yes, that's correct.
>>

>>> You may query  for  exclusive/local activation on the node.
>>> (So you cannot just tell on which other node is the device active,
>>> but you could print about these states:
>>>
>>> active exclusive local
>>> active exclusive
>>> active local
>>> active
>>
>> You also may poll all know nodes, but that is a hack too.
>>
>> That's why I prefer to have this as a separate tool (with dlm_tool-like
>> params and output) which lists node IDs and lock mode. Unfortunately do
>> not have power to write it now.
>>
>> Are core LVM devels interested in these two features: lock conversion
>> and managing remote node locks? If yes, then I can (hopefully) prepare
>> git patches next week.
>

> I'm not quite sure what do you mean by  'managing remote node locks' ?

Activation/deactivation of LVs on a different corosync cluster node,
specified by its node name (with pacemaker-like method to determine that
name).
Also conversion of locks on that node.

> Current login behind lvm command is  -
>
> You could activate LVs with the above syntax [ael]
> (there is a tag support - so you could exclusively activate LV on remote
> node in via some configuration tags)

Could you please explain this - I do not see anything relevant in man pages.

> And you want to 'upgrade' remote locks to something else ?

Yes, shared-to-exclusive end vice verse.

> What would be the use-case you could not resolve with current command
> line args?

I need to convert lock on a remote node during last stage of ver3
migration in libvirt/qemu. That is a "confirm" stage, which runs on a
"source" node, during which "old" vm is killed and disk is released.
So, I first ("begin" stage) convert lock from exclusive to shared on a
source node, then obtain shared lock on a target node (during "prepare"
stage, when receiving qemu instance is started), then migrate vm between
two processes which have LV opened, and then release shared lock on a
source node ("confirm" stage, after source qemu is killed).

There is no other events on a destination node in ver3 migration
protocol, so I'm unable to convert lock to exclusive there after
migration is finished. So I do that from a source node, after it
released lock.

> Is that supported by dlm (since lvm locks are mapped to dlm)?
Command just sent to a specific clvm instance and performed there.

> How would you resolve error path fallbacks ?

Could you please tell  what exactly do you mean?
If dlm on a remote node is unable to perform requested operation, then
error is returned to a initiator.

> Also I believe the clvmd protocol is out of free bits for extension,
> so how the protocol would look like ?
It contains 'node' field (I assume it was never actually used before)
and with some fixes that works.

Vladislav