[linux-lvm] vg disappeared after replacing disc in raid10

Stuart D Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Mon Mar 25 21:30:32 UTC 2013

Long ago, Nostradamus foresaw that on 03/25/2013 04:46 PM, Björn
Nadrowski would write:
> Recreation of the volume group seemed  a good idea as I only had one volume group on the pv and therefore I did not see how this could have destroyed anything.
> The (human-readable) data at the beginning of the device /dev/md127 is still there and does display the same information. Please see my posting
Recreating the vg overwrites the human-readable data at the beginning of
the device.  You claim that it is "still there" and is the "same
information".  But this cannot be true because originally that
information had your LV data, and now (apparently) it does not.  Do you
see your LVs when looking at the vg metadata with an editor??   What do
you mean by "displays the same information"?  Does lvs list your LVs?