[linux-lvm] vg disappeared after replacing disc in raid10

Stuart D Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Wed Mar 27 18:51:20 UTC 2013

On 03/26/2013 02:13 PM, Björn Nadrowski expounded in part:

> So, should I rewrite the beginning of the device with the dd command?
>
> What then?
>
> Thanks a lot for all your help!

You could try the dd, if it has a good chance of restoring the device to
before the pvcreate.  I don't know offhand how much of a PV pvcreate
overwrites.  Hopefully, an LVM guru can chime in. Before doing pvcreate,
things like vg_scan -v should give a clue as to whether knoppix is even
looking at md127.  You might need to tweak the device filter in lvm.conf
for knoppix.