[linux-lvm] pvs complains of missing PVs that are not missing

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Thu Oct 24 09:35:06 UTC 2013

Dne 23.10.2013 18:43, Joe Harvell napsal(a):
>> Hi Joe,
>>
>> I am having similar issues in that I have a LVM2 raid1 mirror between a
>> local disk and a iSCSI disk and once I remove the iSCSI disk and add it
>> back, the mirror stays broken. I traced the cause of that to be LVM2 still
>> complains about a PV missing even though the same PV has been added back.
>>
>> I wonder if you have resolved your issue and what did you do.
>> Thanks a lot.
>> Shi

> Shi,
>
> This is not yet resolved.  I'm still waiting for Peter Rajnoha to follow up
> after I provided him the information he requested.  He said he might be able
> to look at it more closely later this week. In the mean time, I work around
> this issue by activating the VG with --partial.  I can access my data, but I
> can't make any LVM config changes.

If the missing PV is reattached to your system - you need to

vgextend --restoremissing   /dev/path_to_PV

Since once the PV is detected as missing - metadata are update on present PVs,
and the missing PV is marked as MISSING.
When such PV reappear - you need to run the command to re-synchronize metadata.

Zdenek