[linux-lvm] combined linear + striped

Grzegorz Powiedziuk gpowiedziuk at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 20:22:52 UTC 2013

Hello everyone.
I am trying to create a logical volume but my setup is a little bit
unusual.

I have 400 disks over here. All these disks live on 4 separate raids 5
(ibm ds6000).
So stripping across disks within a raid doesn't make any sens.
But, what I'd like to do is to stripe it across separate raids.

This is how I see it

Raid a - disks 1001-1100
Raid b - disks 2001-2100
Raid c - disks 3001-3100
Raid d - disks 4001-3100

Stripping would be across every set of 4 disks: 1001,2001,3001,4001 +
1002,2002,3002,4002 ... and so on.

And all stripped sets would be combined in to one big LV.
Is it even possible?

I know that I can just create a stripped volume across all 400 volumes but
it doesn't really make sens in this set up does it?

Many thanks!
Gregory