[linux-lvm] problem with lvcreate and redirection of stdout/stderr

Lentes, Bernd bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
Wed Aug 20 17:20:57 UTC 2014

Alasdair wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 05:27:52PM +0200, Lentes, Bernd wrote:
> > lvcreate -v -L 45G -n lv_root_snapshot -s vg1/lv_root >>
> > /var/log/update.log 2>&1
>
> > lvcreate    Suspending vg1-lv_root (252:0) with filesystem sync with device
> flush
>
> /var/log is presumably part of a filesystem on the same LV that is getting its
> I/O paused for a brief moment while the snapshot is taken.

Yes it is. I have just one lv for the whole directory / .

> 1) Run lvm dumpconfig log/activation  to double-check this is not set to 1.

log {
        verbose=2
        syslog=0
        file="/var/log/lvm2.log"
        overwrite=0
        level=5
        indent=1
        command_names=1
        prefix="  "
}

activation {
        missing_stripe_filler="/dev/ioerror"
        reserved_stack=256
        reserved_memory=8192
        process_priority=-18
        mirror_region_size=512
        readahead="auto"
        monitoring=1
        mirror_log_fault_policy="allocate"
        mirror_device_fault_policy="remove"
        thin_pool_autoextend_threshold=100
        thin_pool_autoextend_percent=20
        udev_rules=1
        udev_sync=1
}

> 2) What filesystem is this and precisely what kernel?  (cat /proc/mounts)

FS is ext3, kernel is 3.0.76-0.11-default

vm58820-6:~ # cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
udev /dev tmpfs rw,relatime,nr_inodes=0,mode=755 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,relatime 0 0
/dev/mapper/vg1-lv_root / ext3 rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0
/dev/vda3 /boot ext3 rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
fusectl /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw,relatime 0 0
securityfs /sys/kernel/security securityfs rw,relatime 0 0
none /var/lib/ntp/proc proc ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0

> 3) Try to obtain a stack trace at the point where this locks up e.g.
> echo t > /proc/sysrq-trigger followed by dmesg (or divert your logging of
> kernel messages to a different filesystem outside the snapshot).
>
> Alasdair

the stack trace you find here (~190KB):  http://www.filedropper.com/stacktracevm58820-6lvcreate

Strange thing is that it worked now once without system stop. But second time stop again.

Thanks for your help.

Bernd

Helmholtz Zentrum München
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstädter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir´in Bärbel Brumme-Bothe
Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Günther Wess, Dr. Nikolaus Blum, Dr. Alfons Enhsen
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671