[linux-lvm] Raid1 -> linear conversion = destroyed data

Anatoly Pugachev matorola at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 10:12:04 UTC 2014

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 2:07 AM, Phillip Susi <psusi at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> I used lvconvert -m 1 --type raid1 to clone my root volume onto a new
> drive, and then used --splitmirrors to split off the original volume
> as a backup while I worked off the new drive for a few days.  I then
> decided the new drive was working well and used lvconvert -m 0 to
> convert the volume back to linear.  Instead of dropping the split off
> original leg, lvm dropped the NEW copy and redirected all IO to the
> OLD data, causing massive filesystem corruption.
>
> This is on Ubuntu 14.10 using lvm 2.02.98 and linux 3.16.

Phillip,

can you please paste the commands you've used to convert the volume? I
don't have ubuntu , but rhel7 manual page for lvconvert, example section is
pretty clear on how to convert back to flat (-m0) volume and what physical
device you remove from logical volume, quote:

       Converts mirror logical volume "vg00/lvmirror1" to linear, freeing
physical extents from /dev/sda:

       lvconvert -m0 vg00/lvmirror1 /dev/sda