[linux-lvm] unwanted autocreation of /dev/mapper/ entries while using parted on lvm devices

Oliver Rath rath at mglug.de
Mon Feb 24 12:17:39 UTC 2014

Hi Peter,

thanks for your reply!

Am 24.02.2014 09:41, schrieb Peter Rajnoha:
> On 02/23/2014 11:36 PM, Oliver Rath wrote:
>> [..]
> The parted itself creates a new device-mapper mapping that represents
> the partition. Then it's like any other device-mapper device and so
> the /dev content is created by 10-dm-disk.rules (the /dev/mapper
> content) and 13-dm-disk.rules (the /dev/disk content).
>
> Parted has this functionality integrated so there's no need to call
> kpartx in addition.

Ist it possible to avoid this /dev/mapper-generation, if I partitioning
lvm-devices? My problem ist, that Im not able to export the whole device
i.e. as iscsi, if some sub-device is mapped in /dev/mapper/... (says,
its busy then ..).

At the moment I always have to delete these subdevices via kpartx -d
/dev/myvg/.. (or dmsetup remove ..) before exporting it, which is a bit
annoying.

I took a look into 10-dm.rules, but have no idea, what to do.

Regards,
Oliver