[linux-lvm] Logical Volume Inaccessible

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Sun Jan 12 05:17:01 UTC 2014

On 11/01/14 11:59 PM, Tom+Dale wrote:

>> What does 'pvscan; vgscan; lvscan' show? If the LVs show 'inactive', try
>
>> 'lvchange -ay <lv_path>', then 'lvscan' should show the LV as 'ACTIVE'.
>> If so, try mounting the LV.
>> --
>> Digimer
>> Papers and Projects: https://alteeve.ca/w/
>> What if the cure for cancer is trapped in the mind of a person without
>> access to education?
>
> Here is what I got:
>
> [root at localhost ~]# pvscan
>    /dev/sda2: read failed after 0 of 1024 at 0: Input/output error
>    /dev/sda2: read failed after 0 of 1024 at 4096: Input/output error
>    /dev/sda2: read failed after 0 of 2048 at 0: Input/output error
>    No matching physical volumes found
> [root at localhost ~]# lvscan
>    /dev/sda2: read failed after 0 of 2048 at 0: Input/output error
> [root at localhost ~]# vgscan
>    Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
>    /dev/sda2: read failed after 0 of 1024 at 0: Input/output error
>    /dev/sda2: read failed after 0 of 1024 at 4096: Input/output error
>    /dev/sda2: read failed after 0 of 2048 at 0: Input/output error
> [root at localhost ~]# lvchange -ay /dev/sda2
>    /dev/sda2: read failed after 0 of 2048 at 0: Input/output error
>    /dev/sda2: read failed after 0 of 1024 at 0: Input/output error
>    /dev/sda2: read failed after 0 of 1024 at 4096: Input/output error
>    /dev/sda2: read failed after 0 of 2048 at 0: Input/output error
>    Volume group "sda2" not found
>    Skipping volume group sda2
> [root at localhost ~]#

Eep,

   That looks like the drive might be failing. If you don't have a good
backup, then you might want to stop. If the data on the drive is very
valuable, I would do nothing more and call a data recovery house. If
that's not feasible, then the first thing I would do is connect another
drive of equal or larger size and dd the bad drive to the other drive.

   For example, if the bad drive comes up as /dev/sdb and the
spare/backup drive comes up as /dev/sdc, you would want to run something
like 'dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc bs=8k'. That will clone, byte for byte,
sdb onto sdc (and erase whatever was on sdc, of course). Then set aside
the failing drive and try to recover the data on sdc (possibly copy it
again to a 3rd drive, just to be extra safe). This way, if something
goes wrong, you can start over.

--
Digimer
access to education?