[linux-lvm] Identifying useable block devices

Oliver Rath rath at mglug.de
Wed Jan 15 16:17:51 UTC 2014

Hi Marius!

the /dev/mapper/.. devices are for internal use only. This is needed,
because the thinPOOL is a device logical between vg and lv, which is
represented with help of these special devices.

Normally you should alway use the /dev/vg/lv name scheme for you own
lvm-devices. Nevertheless, if you would persist to use /dev/mapper/
pathes, you can create the path with /dev/mapper/<vg>-<lv>. Note: If you
lv-name includes some "-", they will be doubled in /dev/mapper notation
for differentiating to the "-", which separates vg and lv name. I.e. you
LV is name my-own-lv and your VG is mariusvg, then you can find the
(thintpool-) device under /dev/mapper/mariusvg-my--own--lv and (better)
as link /dev/mariusvg/my-own-lv.

There is a point you have unfortunatly to use the /dev/mapper-notation:
If you need i.e. kpartx for creating subdevices (i.e. the lv includes a
virtual windows disk with partitions), then the temporalily created
names are only accessible via /dev/mapper.

The other created metadevices for thinpool-managment you should never touch.

Hth,
Oliver