[linux-lvm] lvm2 conf on boot disk

Jack Waterworth jack at redhat.com
Wed Jul 9 16:46:18 UTC 2014

There is no way to do an in-place convert from a partitioned device to
LVM without losing data. I would recommend adding a new disk, reinstall
the OS on the new disk with LVM, and then moving over any data that was
required after installation.

You may be able to do this in rescue mode within a chrooted environment,
but things could get messy. Add the new device, build the lvm stack,
copy over the data then chroot into the NEW lvm root. Mount everything
appropriately, recreate the initrd and re-install grub onto the new
disk.  Go in with the expectation that you may be fixing things after
the reboot from rescue mode.

   Jack Waterworth, RHCE
   Senior Technical Support Engineer
   Red Hat Global Support Services