[linux-lvm] pvs -a on a partition of ZFS block device

alessandro macuz alessandro.macuz at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 08:43:43 UTC 2014

>  Hi Alex,
>
> Im not sure if I understand right: You take a zfv-Volume to create a lvm
> volume inside? Make it sense to mix two similar concepts in this way? Imho
> zfs and lvm are focussed to different goals, so if you combine it, you get
> the worse of both.
>
> What is your goal mixing these concepts? If you have created a zfs-volume,
> you can mount it directly without detouring over lvm and vice versa.
>
> I think it is much better to decide for one of these (zfs-volumes XOR
> lvm-Volumes) depending on your needs.
>
> Just my 2ct
>
> Regards
> Oliver

Hi Oliver,

I see and back your point since the flexibility given by LVM can be
obtained with ZFS as well.
In this case I'm not trying to achieve anything but rather dealing with
something already existing and without making too many changes I'd like to
access that volume. I think my reasoning is correct but somehow I see
something non-expected. I thought I could use pvs, and lvs later on, on any
block device as for any physical disks.

Maybe pvs is coded to work only with some devices on purpose, I haven't
looked at the source. I don't think what I'm doing is wrong in theory and I
would like to know if instead, from the theoretically point of view, it is.

Thanks, Alex