[linux-lvm] pvs -a on a partition of ZFS block device

alessandro macuz alessandro.macuz at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 18:44:47 UTC 2014

Hi all,

the goal is to mount a LVM volume that is contained in a 8e partition of a
zvol device.

Since we speak about a production system I stated from the basic and I
wanted to see if pvs would recognize the partition. No luck.

root at server02:/mnt# pvs -a /dev/zd1168p2
  Failed to read physical volume "/dev/zd1168p2"

but on the other way on the same system I get

root at server02:/mnt# pvs -a /dev/sdb2
  PV         VG         Fmt  Attr PSize   PFree
  /dev/sdb2  vgserver01 lvm2 a-   464.83g 432.82g

The only difference I can see between the 2 is the major number

root at server02:/mnt# ls -la /dev/zd1168p2
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 230, 1170 Jun 10 19:56 /dev/zd1168p2

and

root at server02:/mnt# ls -la /dev/sdb2
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 18 Feb 11 10:43 /dev/sdb2

Is it an expected behaviour that I pvs doesn't recognize "physical device"
within ZFS block devices?

Thanks, Alex