[linux-lvm] Add a disk from remote node to LVM

Marian Csontos mcsontos at redhat.com
Wed May 7 13:00:12 UTC 2014

On 05/07/2014 12:04 PM, Mahmood Naderan wrote:

>> How do you mean "remote drive" exactly? What type is it - is it iscsi, nbd...?
>
> There are two nodes in a single rack. Each has 4 slots for SATAII disks. Current configuration is
>

> N1: /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, /dev/sdd where the last three (b, c, d) are grouped in in a single LVM volume.
>

> N2: /dev/sda, /dev/sdb where the last one (b) is free and I want to add it to the LVM of N1.
>
> Each node is running an independent operating system (scientific linux)Currently /dev/sdb on N2 is not shared.
 > I have just format it as ext4 (which is the same format as the LVM of
N1).

In any case keep in mind node N2 would need to be up and running all the
time or you risk rendering N1 inoperable while N2 has outage or is
broken - depending on which data would be stored at N2.

I suggest either:

- using RAID[156] to make the remote drive (temporary) dispensable.

- making the PV non-allocatable by default and enable it only when
allocating LVs manually for data you do not need all the time - for
example you do not want your root filesystem corrupted while unavailable
but that may be acceptable for backup copies (but NFS may be sufficient
solution for that.)

Another option would be to use distributed filesystem like Gluster which
was designed to keep data spread over bunch of nodes while ensuring
redundancy but I understand it was designed to work with larger number
of nodes and I am not sure how efficient that would be on 2 nodes as you
are describing.

-- Martian