[linux-lvm] Add a disk from remote node to LVM

Mahmood Naderan nt_mahmood at yahoo.com
Wed May 7 10:04:32 UTC 2014

>How do you mean "remote drive" exactly? What type is it - is it iscsi, nbd...?

There are two nodes in a single rack. Each has 4 slots for SATAII disks. Current configuration is

N1: /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, /dev/sdd where the last three (b, c, d) are grouped in in a single LVM volume.

N2: /dev/sda, /dev/sdb where the last one (b) is free and I want to add it to the LVM of N1.

Each node is running an independent operating system (scientific linux)Currently /dev/sdb on N2 is not shared. I have just format it as ext4 (which is the same format as the LVM of N1).

>But essentially, you need to connect the remote drive first and then do a pvcreate and vgextend.

Should I run these commands on N1 or N2?

Regards,
Mahmood