[linux-lvm] broken fs after removing disk from group

Marc des Garets marc at ttux.net
Thu Nov 13 19:27:45 UTC 2014

Obviously data on the bad disk is gone. Can you explain why the entire
file system is gone also?

I did what I said in my previous email and so far it has worked pretty
well. The idea came from this:
https://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/appnote/19386.html#DiskPermanentlyRemoved

So I took a disk and did the: pvcreate --uuid
NOskcl-8nOA-PpZg-DCtW-KQgG-doKw-n3J9xd --restorefile
VolGroup00_00001-16738001.vg /dev/sdc1

The restorefile being the config before the disk died.

Then I did vgcfgrestore with the VolGroup00_00001-16738001.vg followed
by vgscan and vgchange -ay VolGroup00

All the above went well, exactly like on the novell.com link.

pvdisplay shows the 3 disks exactly like before I had the one that died
but the e2fsck (or fsck.ext4) tells me:
The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 675863552 blocks
The physical size of the device is 597721088 blocks
Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!
Abort<y>?

That's what I don't understand, shouldn't the size of the device be back
to 675863552 blocks and so I should be able to do the fsck without
getting this warning?

Thanks.