[linux-lvm] Data percentage too large after thin_dump --repair/thin_restore

Timur Alperovich timur at maginatics.com
Mon Sep 1 18:13:04 UTC 2014

Hi there,

I'm using LVM 2.02.98 and encountered a metadata corruption issue. To
recover from it, I attempted to perform the following steps:
1. thin_check /dev/mapper/pool_tmeta
2. thin_dump /dev/mapper/pool_tmeta > /tmp/metadata
3. dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mapper/pool_tmeta
4. thin_restore -i /tmp/metadata -o /dev/mapper/pool_tmeta

All of the above steps have succeeded, however, when attempting to list the
_metadata\_percent_ field, I get an error:

user at thin_vm:~$ sudo lvs group/pool -o +metadata_percent
  Data percentage too large.
  dm_report_object: report function failed for field metadata_percent
  LV   VG         Attr      LSize   Pool Origin Data%  Move Log Copy%
Convert Meta%
  pool group twi-a-tz- 383.88g              34.56

The pool itself can now be activated, `thin_check` passes, and all the data
appears to be intact.

Is this a known issue and is there a workaround? I need to be able to
examine the _metadata\_percent_ field to make sure we don't exhaust the
metadata space.

Thank you,
Timur