[linux-lvm] lvm thin provisioning snapshots and btrfs

Robb Walker rwalker at DRWHoldings.com
Tue Sep 23 01:06:26 UTC 2014

Thanks for the response and insight!
I will try to manipulate sequentially/mutually exclusively as in making changes when only one is online/active
I have had a screen session open on ttyS1 and don't recall a flurry of concerning console messages, but will double check, unless you meant they, btrfs developers, should have this type of issue burble up as a kernel message.
I'll probably give a post to btrfs with your insight listed and see what they say as well

thanks and regards

From: linux-lvm-bounces at redhat.com <linux-lvm-bounces at redhat.com> on behalf of Zdenek Kabelac <zkabelac at redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2014 6:02 PM
To: LVM general discussion and development
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] lvm thin provisioning snapshots and btrfs

Dne 23.9.2014 v 00:15 Robb Walker napsal(a):
> Also see the same results on ubu 14.04.1 lvm thin provisioning + btrfs. haven't tried arch 3.16 kernel and tools yet

It's likely btrfs problem that it is not reporting duplicity problem?

In lvm2 we try to detect duplicate PVs and report problem and pick one to use.

Btrfs needs to do the same - I'd expect some kernel messages about these kind
of problems?

Snapshot activation is skipped here for a reason.

It's upto user/admin to avoid system confusion.

So my best advice is - to ensure you do not have active origin & snapshot at
the same time - especially when manipulating with btrfs - since it most likely
ignore device UUID generated by lvm (and that should be unique)

You will need to check disk btrfs identifiers if you need to have active these
volumes at the same time.

> Robb Walker
> Linux/Unix Services
> Desk (312)542-2361 ~ Mobile (312)804-6034
> Email: rwalker at drw.com
> DRW Holdings, LLC ~ 540 West Madison St. Chicago, IL 60661

Regards

Zdenek