[linux-lvm] seems as if iy should be simple but I'm stuck

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Sat Apr 4 01:57:30 UTC 2015

I've recovered two drives from a failed raid-10 array and now have a
working degraded array from which I'd like to retrieve data. After
assembling the array I ran fdisk and saw an LVM setup, with
VolGroup00. Running lvscan shows the xen virtual machine names and
disk allocations as they should be. I almost never do anything with
lvm so I thought I'd make a directory and mount the logical volume on
it to check out the data. When I mount /dev/VolGroup00/lvname I am
told I need to specify a filesystem type. But specifying either ext3
or lvms gives errors. I don't see what I need to do. Anyone?

The idea is to move the xen virtual machine to another working
centos-xen machine, start it and do data recovery. I can supply more
details but don't know what is relevant.

Dave

--
"As long as politics is the shadow cast on society by big business,
the attenuation of the shadow will not change the substance."

-- John Dewey