[linux-lvm] LVM disk power management

Drew... 1drew345 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 18:59:37 UTC 2015

Hi,
I have 3 physical disks forming one volume group, with one logical volume.
If i try to issue a standby command to the logical volume i get the following error..
sudo hdparm -y /dev/mapper/VG0-LVstorage

/dev/mapper/VG0-LVstorage:

 issuing standby command

 HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(standby) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

But if i issue a standby command to the individual disks in the volume group..
sudo hdparm -y /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1

/dev/sda1:

 issuing standby command

/dev/sdb1:

 issuing standby command

/dev/sdc1:

 issuing standby command
This works fine!
Is addressing individual disks the normal way to to spin down disks in a lvm volume group or will this cause file corruption.
And if not, is there a safe way to achieve this or is it just not possible to spin down disks in a lvm.
I would be grateful of any advice you could offer. I have spent some time searching around for some information on this & i can not find any documented on this anywhere.
Thanks,
Kind regards,
Drew