[linux-lvm] Combine multiple physical volumes onto a larger device

Greg Zartman gregzartman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 03:05:23 UTC 2015

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but after a fair bit of
googleing I'm not coming up with an answer.

I have a fairly old volume group that is made of 9 x 620GB PVs.  I'd like
to move this volume group off these devices onto a couple larger drives.
What is the best way to do this?  I've read that you can vgextend the new
drives into the volume group and the use pvmove to move data off one PV to
another, but I don't know if you can pvmove smaller pvs onto a larger disk
and they will all be combined.

Maybe there is a better way to move the entire VG?    I want to maintain
the current VG and LV names from my old setup, this my desire to just move
the entire lot at once instead of rsyncing or something.

Thanks,

Greg