[linux-lvm] Renaming volumes and /proc/mounts

Linda A. Walsh lvm at tlinx.org
Mon Jan 12 06:14:04 UTC 2015

Phillip Susi wrote:
> Is it possible to get /proc/mounts to update to the new name after
> doing an lvrename of a mounted volume?  It plays hell on update-grub
> when you rename a mounted volume and /proc/mounts still has the old name.

lvrename can rename an actively mounted device?  Is it supposed
to do that?

That sounds a bit strange.  I mean if I rename a network device, I'd
have to take down the interface before renaming it.  I'd think with a
disk partition unmounting it would be, at least, prudent?  Is it really
not necessary?