[linux-lvm] Question about expanding RAID 5 LVs

Pheckphul pheckphul at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 04:22:29 UTC 2015

I'm working on a project and want to make sure I understand the
requirements for expanding a RAID 5 LV, and am hoping for feedback.

When expanding a RAID 5 LV, and wanting to maintain RAID 5 functionality,
must one always increase the storage by a number of physical volumes equal
to (no more and no less, but evenly divisible by) the number of physical
volumes used to originally create the RAID 5 LV? e.g. I create a RAID 5 LV
that consists of four PVs and later want to increase the size of the RAID 5
LV. To do so I must add an additional four PVs, but may add any number
evenly divisible by four in order to maintain RAID 5 functionality. Do I
understand this correctly?

Thank you to those that provide feedback on this.