[linux-lvm] LVM problem: Unable to mount encrypted Luks HDs after reinstalling Ubuntu; Error: unknown filesystem type 'LVM2_member'

Klaus Lichtenwalder lichtenwalder at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 20:03:26 UTC 2015

Am 30.05.2015 um 05:45 schrieb st at ateneto.com:
> Hallo,
>
> thank you very much for anyone taking the time to read this.
>
> I am using a Thinkpad Edge E145 with Ubuntu 14.04 installed.
> I have recently reinstalled Ubuntu to a new HD. This installation is
> LUKS encrypted LVM and works without problems.
>
> My old installation on a LVM Luks encrypted drive would no longer start up.
> I had deleted old kernels. Maybe the problems are related to that.
> sog at sog-workstation:~$ sudo mount /dev/mapper/encrypted
> /media/encryptedmount: unknown filesystem type 'LVM2_member'
> sog at sog-workstation:~$

Hi,

this looks like there's a vg and/or a lv in your encrypted partition also.

You might check with pvscan, vgscan, lvscan, whether there's anything of
interest.

Because "unknown filesystem type "LVM2_member"" seems to imply this is a
LV instead of a "pure" filesystem.

Klaus
 Klaus Lichtenwalder, Dipl. Inform.,  http://www.lichtenwalder.name/
 PGP Key fingerprint: 0CF4 4A47 355A DD36 65B3  56F3 2696 79B2 7F3D 1020