[linux-lvm] lvcreate - device not cleared Aborting. Failed to wipe start of new LV.

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Tue Jun 23 08:44:42 UTC 2015

Dne 23.6.2015 v 08:22 csanyipal at gmail.com napsal(a):
> MegaBrutal <megabrutal at gmail.com> writes:

>>> # lvcreate --verbose --size 10.10G -n var bubba
>>>    DEGRADED MODE. Incomplete RAID LVs will be processed.
>>
>> Hey, I just notice, your VG is in degraded mode. This is not a normal
>> condition and it can also cause unexpected things. Why is your VG
>> degraded? Does it have missing PVs?
>
> # vgdisplay -vvv
>   DEGRADED MODE. Incomplete RAID LVs will be processed.
>
> Indeed.
> I don't know why is mine VG degraded.
> How can I know does it have missing PVs?
> What can I do to fix this problem?

Hi

There is nothing to fix for a user in this case.

This message is only 'informational'  - probably it could be formulated
somehow differently and less 'stressful'

Also it's location is currently wrong, since it's the 'activation' could which
could recognize this case - however proper fix is not so trivial and will take
time.

So basically - this message tells you - that command operates in mode it will
process  incomplete RAID LVs - and it likely should be printed only in case
there IS some raid LV....

Regards

Zdenek