[linux-lvm] invalid snapshot with umounted fs

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Tue May 12 07:32:32 UTC 2015

Dne 11.5.2015 v 11:35 Christian Hesse napsal(a):
> Hello everybody,
>
> I have a backup scripts that creates read-only snapshots from my lvm volumes,
> then runs rsync on them.
>
> This fails for one of my volumes, mount reports an unknown filesystem on the
> snapshot. The only difference compared to my other volumes is the fact that
> it is not mounted by default.
> Mounting the filesystem fixes the problem, the snapshot is valid when created
> from mounted filesystem.
>
> I saw this behavior with lvm2 versions 2.02.116 to 2.02.119. Probably I did
> not have this configuration before, so possibly the problem exists even
> longer.

Hi

You would need to probably pass more data with your email as without metadata
archive it's quite hard to guess what is going on.

rule #1 is - when you snapshot gets overfilled - it's automatically LOST -
it's made invalid and any filesystem on it becomes unreadable.

rule #2 - configure & use dmeventd  (see lvm.conf thresholds) to avoid this
situation to happen.

If you see some other bug - open BZ case (for rawhide if you can't match your
distro) and fill in  all info - kernel  version, LVM metadata,  dmsetup status
and so on...

Regards

Zdenek