[linux-lvm] devices.filter changed behaviour in 80ac8f37d6

Chris Webb chris at arachsys.com
Mon Sep 7 13:01:02 UTC 2015

Peter Rajnoha <prajnoha at redhat.com> wrote:

> I'd advise you to use global_filter instead which should do the job
> you need as global_filter is always evaluated at the beginning of the
> filter
> chain. It's also more appropriate to use global_filter in your case if you
> want to be sure that devices are filtered completely all the time, never
> scanned, even if you switched to using lvmetad.

Hi Peter. Yes, we switched our config to use global_filter when we hit the
problem. Great to hear that's the more efficient way to leave it long-term
anyway. (global_filter didn't exist as an option when I last touched that
lvm.conf, but it definitely makes sense to be able to restrict the device
tree before any other, potentially expensive, processing.)

We should probably look at running the new lvmetad ourselves too: thanks
for the pointer. We do quite a few read only queries from our management
layer using lvs, vgs and so on. Caching the meta data between invocations
could make a lot of sense if the daemon's reasonably lightweight and
doesn't pull in extra dependencies. (LVM can't interrogate our udev
database, though, as we don't use udev to handle our kernel uevents.)

Best wishes,

Chris.