[linux-lvm] Strange dm-cache activity at startup

Stefan Ring stefanrin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 15:08:21 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 9:48 AM, Stefan Ring <stefanrin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would have hoped that the distro scripts would take care of this.
> Apparently not, for whatever reason :(. I have since upgraded to
> kernel 4.2, and the behavior has not changed. I'll try to reboot today
> instead of shutdown and see if anything changes.

Nothing has changed. However, I noticed this in dmesg during startup:

device-mapper: cache: You have created a cache device with a lot of
individual cache blocks (3491776)
All these mappings can consume a lot of kernel memory, and take some
time to read/write.
Please consider increasing the cache block size to reduce the overall
cache block count.

Now I'll have to see what to do about that.