[linux-lvm] automatic repartitioning of devices in /etc/lvm/cache/.cache?

travis+ml-linux-lvm at subspacefield.org travis+ml-linux-lvm at subspacefield.org
Fri Aug 26 04:20:22 UTC 2016

Hello, I've got a persistent problem in that the second two disks of my array
occasionally have their heads wiped, with a GPT showing up at the beginning
of the partition, with the same partitioning structure as the main disk GPT.

The overall structure is:

md127 = /dev/sd{b,c,d,e}1
LUKS on that
PV/VG/LV on that.

So my ONLY lead so far, that distinguishes sd{d,e}1 (which get wiped)
from sd{b,c}1 is that they were listed in /etc/lvm/cache/.cache.

Is there any way that being listed there could be a side effect, or be
a cause, of disk partition corruption in those devices?

This system crashed and failed to recover, but I strongly suspect that
it was unattended and un-administered between the last boot and an
unrelated kernel panic, whereupon I discovered the disk corruption.

So, I'm wondering, is there any unattended process, or possibly any one
triggered by an admin, that would re-partition a device listed there,
or restore a GPT from backup or something?
http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/ | if spammer then john at subspacefield.org
"Computer crime, the glamor crime of the 1970s, will become in the
1980s one of the greatest sources of preventable business loss."
John M. Carroll, "Computer Security", first edition cover flap, 1977