[linux-lvm] lvm2 cluster aware

su liu liusu8788 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 06:28:03 UTC 2016

hi David Teigland. Thanks your explanation.

My use case is:

I have 3 nodes and they all have access to a SAN storage. One node acts as
admin node which manage lvs(such as creating or deleting lvs)。The other two
nodes act as compute node which run VMs. Then I want to attach the lv to
the VMs (not  multiattach)。As I know ,the metadata is stored in PVs,then I
create  a lv on admin node, It can be seen on compute node without lvmetad
adn clvmd daemon running. My questions is:

1 In this docment: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/sharinglvm1.html  It
says that

"The key thing to remember when sharing volumes is that all the LVM
administration must be done on one node only and that all other nodes must
have LVM shut down before changing anything on the admin node. Then, when
the changes have been made, it is necessary to run vgscan on the other
nodes before reloading the volume groups." .

I have not shot down lvm on compute node ,and I have not run vgscan on
compute node after I create lv on admin node, But I can see the lv  after I
create it on admin node. Should I take the operation shutdown and run vgsan?

2 If I do not use clvmd or lvmlockd, Shoud I run additional operation to
activate the lvs on compute node before attaching it to VM. and Shoud I do
another after I run the delete lv operation on admin node? As I have tried
yesterday, After I run lvremove lv on admin node, It is still has file in
directory /dev/myvg/ on compute node.

Can you explain them to me? Thanks very much.