[linux-lvm] pvcreate: vfat signature detected on /dev/sda5

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Sat Dec 10 07:01:52 UTC 2016

John L. Poole schreef op 10-12-2016 4:35:

>    zeta jlpoole # pvcreate /dev/sda5
>    WARNING: vfat signature detected on /dev/sda5 at offset 54. Wipe it?
> [y/n]: n
>      Aborted wiping of vfat.
>      1 existing signature left on the device.
>      Aborting pvcreate on /dev/sda5.
>    zeta jlpoole #
>
> Is the warning something I need to be concerned about when
> creating a physical volume on /dev/sda5?  I'm wondering if it was
> looking at another
> partition and bubbling up just as a precaution.

I am assuming this is a pretty standard thing; and nothing you need to
worry about. If you wanted to be sure, you could create a dd of the 2nd
partition, or of the first 131 MB.

Then after PV create you could do a diff on the saved data and the real
data still on disk, but I am going to assume -- as a layman -- that LVM
is not messing up the messages; it is really talking about sda5, and
there is nothing going to happen. I encounter spurious signatures all
the time, most of the time I do not even worry how it got there.

Regards.