[linux-lvm] problem with lvcreate and redirection

Zdenek Kabelac zdenek.kabelac at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 15:04:34 UTC 2016

Dne 20.2.2016 v 14:25 Lentes, Bernd napsal(a):

> ----- Am 19. Feb 2016 um 21:31 schrieb Zdenek Kabelac zdenek.kabelac at gmail.com:
>
>> Dne 19.2.2016 v 19:40 Lentes, Bernd napsal(a):
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> i have a script in which i invoke lvremove and lvcreate. With lvremove i don't
>>> have proplems but with lvcreate.
>>> I'm redirecting stdout and stderr to a file because the script is executed by
>>> cron and i'd like to have a look afterwards if everything went fine.
>>> The command is: lvcreate -v -L 25G -n lv_root_snapshot -s vg1/lv_root >
>>> lvcreate_with_redirection.log 2>&1. Shell does not accept further commands
>>> afterwards, but host still responds to ping. You can have a look on
>>> lvcreate_with_redirection.log here:
>>> https://hmgubox.helmholtz-muenchen.de:8001/d/b4c7025bac/ .
>>> System seems to stop while suspending.
>>>
>>> last lines of the log:
>>> ======================================================

>>>       Creating vg1-lv_root_snapshot-cow
>>>       Resuming vg1-lv_root_snapshot-cow (252:3)
>>>       Suspending vg1-lv_root (252:0) with filesystem sync with device flush
>>> ======================================================
>>>

>> Unfortunately you can't do that if you log to the SAME volume you are
>> suspending - i.e. you run your command from your root volume
>> which is also suspended.
>>
>> We could likely 'buffer' the output while in suspend mode,
>> and throw out the output later - but as this is seen as 'debug' help it's
>> assume user takes care and user place for logging which doesn't block.
>>
>> So if you want to see logs - use something tmpfs location for it.
>>
>> Regards
>>

>> Zdenek
>>

> Hi Zdenek,
>
> thanks for your answer. I redirected the output already to another partition, but system still stopped. Maybe because the partition is on the same disk as the lv ? Whole disk is suspended ? It's not possible to suspend just a partition ? I will try with tmpfs or something else.
> But does that mean that redirection is generally not possible when suspending a lv ? Or just in my case because i invoke lvcreate ? What is about other programs having redirections during the suspend ? And why does it work when i just rediredt stdout ? When i redirect stdout and stderr system stops.

Your 'partition' layout isn't clear - but anyway - debugging command when you
run it from a partition you try to suspend is 'tricky'.
Suspend basically stops any read/write operation from suspended device.
So you just need to be sure there is nothing on logging path which might be
blocked.

So is your command blocked when you log into ramdisk ?
Are you using some recent version of lvm2 ?

Zdenek